It’s FINALLY warming up over here on the East Coast! I love springtime because of the beautiful weather and the flowers and trees that come to life. During this time, I start craving lemon flavored foods. This loaf cake is moist and buttery, like the perfect pound cake. In addition, the beautiful lemon flavor is addicting swoon-worthy. Lemon poppyseed is a perfect combination which makes this pound cake one of my top breakfast choices.
It’s a relatively easy recipe to accomplish. Creaming the butter with the sugar takes a bit of time and effort, but it’s definitely worth it in the end. It leads to a more distinct flavor and moister end-product. It is important to have the pale and fluffy texture from the butter before adding in the eggs though, or else it won’t be well creamed. As with all quick breads, it’s important not to over-mix or else you could be left with a rather tough loaf. Also, a good tip when squeezing lemons is to microwave them for 10 seconds so that they’re warm and roll them under your palm to loosen up the fibers.
Once you’ve tried this lemon poppyseed cake, you’ll be craving it all the time! Make this at your own caution. 😉
Note*** This version of the recipe is solely mine. When reposting, please cite me and my website.
Copyright march 2015 ©
Lemon Poppyseed Loaf Cake
Dense, soft pound cake with a beautiful lemon aroma and taste
>>> Yields 1 8 x 4 in loaf
-Prep: 15 min
-Bake: 45 min
- 1/2 C oil
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 C AP flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1/3 C milk, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- lemon syrup (optional): 1/2 C granulated sugar + 1/2 C lemon juice
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter or line with parchment an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
2) Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer on low-medium speed for 4-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
3) Add in the eggs one at a time and beat at medium speed. Add in the vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk. Stir to combine.
4) In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5) Combine the dry and wet ingredients and gently mix until a batter forms. Don’t over-mix the batter!
6) Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
7) Bake for 40-55 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and set.
8) Remove from oven and let cool completely.
9) To prepare the lemon glaze, melt the sugar into the lemon juice either in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave for 30 seconds. Let cool to a warm-to-touch temperature. Poke holes on the top of the loaf with a stick or fork and spoon the syrup over the loaf.
10) Let cool completely before slicing and serving. Store in an air-tight container or well-wrapped at room temperature for 3-4 days.