Remember back when my dad was super intense about eating healthy with NO SUGAR? Well, since my bread turned out so great, I decided to continue on with other healthy breakfast choices. Thus, these healthy Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins were born. They’re made with just 1/4 cup of oil and brown sugar, and if you’re like me or my dad, wouldn’t miss it much if the sugar was eliminated altogether. The applesauce keeps these muffins light despite the addition of WW flour and oatmeal and it doesn’t hurt that the sweet spices remind me of fall time. I tossed in some grated carrots and cranberries for an added texture and you can never have too much Vitamin A for breakfast. Another note, if you’d like to convert this into a quick bread instead, bake it in a 9×5 pan (you’ll most likely have batter leftover) and bake for 50-60 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
Note*** This version of the recipe is solely mine. When re-posting, please cite me and my website.
Copyright may 2016 ©
Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
Light and fluffy muffins that are easy to make and healthy as well!
>>> Yields 18 muffins
-Prep: 15 min
-Bake: 20 min
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 2/3 C AP flour
- 1 C dry oatmeal
- 1/4 C brown sugar / honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp each of ground cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg
- 2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C dried fruit (cranberries, raisins) rehydrated in liquid
- 1/2 C toasted chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
- 1/2 C grated carrots
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare 18 muffin tins by either greasing the tins or lining with paper liners.
2) Mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl, including the fruits and nuts.
3) Add in the applesauce, egg, oil, vanilla, and carrots. Stir until just combined.
4) Spoon the batter evenly into the tins.
5) Bake for 20-22 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean.
6) Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Store in freezer for long-term storage or at room temperature for 3-4 days.